Friday, February 15, 2013

It's Personal!!


These days I am trying to get my hands on as many books about church planting as I can. When I came across "It's Personal: Surviving and thriving on the journey of church planting"  I was intrigued. In a little while I will be taking on the ginormous task of leading a church plant. WOW! What a huge and awesome opportunity this will be.


It's Personal is about the personal side of planting a new church and the impact that launching a new ministry has on church planters and their families.
Brian and Amy Bloye are seasoned church planters, and they dive headfirst into the challenges of keeping a marriage healthy, raising children, and finding the right balance between family and ministry.
This book will give you practical, authentic insight into the real-life issues that families face when planting a church.

Here are some of my favorite takeaways from this book. 
  • Church planters are lovers of adventure. 
  • We are what we build (and build what we are)
  • There is a sense in which a church plant is a reflection of your personal relationship with Christ. 
  • Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you." (Joshua 3:5)
  • God uses changing methods in changing times. He'll do anything and everything to reach people.
  • If there is anything in the world you can do other than church planting, you should do it.
  • Don't plant a church because you think you can do it. Plant one if you think you must do it.
  • You must bond with you vocation, but also with your location.
  • If your asking for the moon, go for the whole thing.
  • Have you counted the cost? And are you willing to do what it takes in the attempt to plant your church?
  • You and I have just partnered with God to enlarge the size of heaven.
  • The elder team has one employee - the senior pastor. They love me, strengthen me, and also ask me the tough questions. 
  • You'll never see a statue of a critic. They'll be forgotten, so don't spend valuable time engaging them. 
  • Here's one way to evaluate a great church: It's a sending church.
So if you're thinking about or are at the beginning stages of church planting this is a great read. I think it's especially great for those who are just starting out on this crazy adventure they call church planting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment