Friday, January 18, 2013

Special Grandmothers

Every child should have a grandmother like mine. I did not realize at the time how much I was learning. I was just having fun with my granny, that's what we called her. She was never to busy for me, she never grew tired of listening to our stories and she never turned us away. Last week we remembered her life and legacy. We will miss her and think of her often. 

My grandmother loved dogs, and she always had to have one and often times two by her side.  I recall her favorite dog was named Philly. She loved this dog. She loved it so much that after it died she picked up another one and named it Philly 2, and I'm pretty sure there was a Philly 3 as well. One of the best memories I have of granny is helping her pick out all of her dogs. 
One of my favorite stories is how my brother and I would go over to my granny's house every Friday to spend the night. We did that for the longest of times. Looking back I know she appreciated that even more then we did. On Saturday we would get up and head to this diner in Aurora called the Pink Cup. The Pink Cup was not much to brag about, but it did not matter to her. Our times with her was all about tradition. The Pink Cup is not around anymore, but it will always hold a special place in my heart. 
Every Christmas she would take her grandsons to a Christmas tree farm to cut down a tree. This was a fun tradition because we would walk through the fields searching for that perfect one. When we found one that could work she would mark it with a packet of cigarettes.  The problem was, when we went back to look at that tree again we could not find where it was. We would laugh and pick out a new tree before she lost any more smokes. Granny would lose two or three packets of cigarettes every Christmas holiday. Good times!!
In this picture is my mom and my uncles Michel and Kevin. The best thing about it for me is they are all still very close and talk with one another often. That's exactly how my grandmother would want it. They will carry her name on well.

No comments:

Post a Comment