Tuesday, October 28, 2008

5 questions with Coach Josh




If you have never coached or even played a day of soccer in your life you will want to read this interview with coach Josh Koehler. Very innovative coach and individual.




Q: Why
Josh: My daughter Malia was finally old enough to play this year so I decided to to give it a try. It was a great thing for me and my daughter to do together.

Q: Did you have a team name?
Josh: The Ducks. I even bought a real duck call. When the players would arrive for practice and even for the games I would blow that duck call so they would know where to go. It was just something extra I could do to make it a little more special for them.

Q: How many players were on your team?
Josh: Six. Two boys and four girls. It was fun because it was the girls who were the aggressive players. The boys not so much.

Q: How much experience did they have?
Josh: Absolutly none. I had six players who had never played a game of soccer. As a matter of fact I don't think they had even touched a soccer ball.

Q. If they had never played a game of soccer in their life, where did you start?
Josh: I set goals. I set four big goals that were reachable for the players I had.
1. Have fun. Very important for this age group. If it's not fun they won't like it.
2. Help them learn basic skills. How to kick a ball, which way to run, only pass it to players on your team and basic things like that.
3. Play and improve as a team. Wow! We really did do that.
4. Win at least one game. Did not reach that goal. That was the hardest one for me because I really like to win. I like to win so much I even made them practice in the rain.

Josh: The best part about it was, I was able to coach my daughter Malia. I would not trade that experience for the world. Can't wait for next season!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, that was so funny! Maybe next year you could be the purple ducks...that's a name with winning possibilities!

    ReplyDelete